Poisons

Many foods and other substances can be toxic if eaten by your pets.

If you know, or suspect, that your dog or cat has eaten any of the foods or substances listed below, contact us at Mont Albert Vet on 9890 1728 or contact a veterinary emergency centre immediately.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine which can be toxic to both dogs and cats even in small amounts. For example, a small 100g dark chocolate Easter egg contains enough theobromine to kill a 10kg dog.

Cats are even less tolerant of chocolate but are also less likely to eat it.

Symptoms of chocolate ingestion range from vomiting & diarrhoea to seizures and death. The fats and sugar in chocolate can also cause pancreatitis.

This online calculator indicates whether or not the type and amount of chocolate eaten by your dog is likely to cause serious problems.

http://sarc.com.au/chocolate-toxicity-calculator/

If you know, or suspect, that your dog or cat has eaten chocolate contact Mont Albert Vet on 9890 1728 or a veterinary emergency centre immediately.

Snail bait

Snail bait poisoning can be fatal if not treated quickly. If you know, or suspect, that your pet has eaten snail bait you must get it to a vet immediately.

Take the box of snail bait with you as your vet will need to know which type of bait has been eaten. If you don't have the box but have seen the bait eaten by your pet, take careful note of its appearance (eg. pellet, granule or powder) and its colour or quickly grab a sample and bring it with you. Different baits have different active ingredients and require different veterinary treatments.

Snail baits come in several different forms. Tasty ingredients such as sugar syrups, soybeans or rice are mixed into the baits along with the poison and it is these ingredients which make the baits tempting to both snails and pets.

The active ingredients in snail baits may be metaldehyde, methiocarb or iron EDTA. These can all cause death in pets if eaten.

Signs of snail bait poisoning include:

  • excessive drooling
  • rapid heart rate
  • rapid panting
  • depression
  • restlessness
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • muscle tremors
  • seizures

If you own dogs or cats, our advice is that you do not use snail baits of any sort in your garden.

Foods toxic to dogs

Foods that are toxic or hazardous to dogs, and may prove fatal, include:

  • chocolate
  • grapes
  • raisins
  • onions
  • garlic
  • macadamia nuts
  • Xylitol (a sweetener often found in chewing gum)

Other foods that can cause problems include:

  • stone fruit (like peaches and nectarines)
  • wild mushrooms
  • avocados
  • bread dough
  • mouldy foods
  • alcohol
  • hops (used for brewing beer)

Make sure your dog does not have access to any of these foods. Remember that dogs are very clever at smelling and finding things.

If you know, or suspect, that your dog has eaten any of these foods, contact Mont Albert Vet on 9890 1728 or a veterinary emergency centre immediately.

Foods and substances toxic to cats

Substances that are toxic to cats, and may prove fatal, include:

  • lilies – all parts including petals, stems and leaves
  • paracetamol
  • chocolate

If you know, or suspect, that your cat has eaten any of these substances, contact Mont Albert Vet on 9890 1728 or a veterinary emergency centre immediately.